Saturday, February 28, 2009

La Chimenea and fishing without a pole


Dinner last night was pretty darn good, better than anything we can get at home, which still puzzles me, but never mind. We checked out a local party down by the beach at a bar we've visited a couple of times. It was a mix of locals and gringos, dancing, drinking, singing and all that. This morning I woke at the usual pre-sunrise hour,whatever that is. It leaves me enough time to fall back to sleep for a short time, watch the sun rise over the water, and listen to the birds before I actually get up. It's a rough life. I still get about an hour and a half before we head 5 miles down the beach road to the dive shop. We did only one dive this morning, saving ourselves for fishing in the afternoon. The dive was La Chimenea, one that we had done before and I discribed earlier, I think. It was beautiful and each time we do a dive we take a different approach. This time I explored the cavern a bit more. I didn't realize it last time, but the big pillar of rock in the center has a big space behind it and you can just swim around it, which I did. When we reached the back side, Frank shined his light into a smaller cave at the back and there was a respectable set of sharp white teeth...we'll call him big ass barracuda. If he hadn't had the light , I wouldn't have known he was there. I wasn't sure what barracuda's response would be to being blocked in by 3 divers, so I gave him as much space as I could. The same school of horse eyed jacks circled me again. I think they recognized me. We worked our way down the wall, then up through a crevice and hung out on the top for a long time before heading up. I had inadvertantly set my computer for nitrox, so it spazzed at me when I was down at 84 feet. It's good that I didn't dive this afternoon or it would have told me I was dead. Instead we went fishing out near with reef with Benito. Now this is good fishing. All that is needed is a line, hook, some weights (two metal screws in this case) a piece of a sardine and a knack for tossing it into the water (no fishing poles!). We anchored directly off shore from the the river that divides Quinta Roo, Mexico from Ambergris Key, Belize. Frank and Benito had a riot playing with the fish. They would bait the hook, toss it in and try to time it so they could hook the fish before it stole the bait. Usually the fish managed to get a free meal (or two) but we did end up the with 13 nice little fish. Sauteed in garlic and olive oil tonight, ceviche tomorrow. I was planning to fish as well, but the sun was so warm, the breeze so comfortable and the water so clear and turquoise, I just sat. OK, I took some pictures too...I wasn't completely useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment